Johnny slams the car door shut as he exits and walks up the driveway. Johnny loosened the tie around his neck and unbuttons his first few buttons. He pulls his keys out of his pocket to open the door to his house. The emptiness of the dark streets around doesn’t bother him. The realization of his loneliness doesn’t phase him as his front door swings open. As he hangs his jacket on the hanger, he walks into the darkened living room where he turns on the lights. On the couch he sees a man, a familiar face in his house.
The man says, “Johnny?”
“Tony?” Johnny says in reply and remembers his friend from college.
"Hey there, I am your new roommate" said Johnny as he entered his dorm room and found his roommate on top of the bed playing some war game on his 360. And before Johnny gave his roommate a chance to talk, he introduced himself, "I'm Johnny and this is my first year of college, and I'm from California." His roommate was so busy that he just waved at Johnny and said, "I'm Tony." Playing games was a symbol of immatureness to Johnny, since it was for little kids, from his point of view. As he sat down on his bed to catch a breath, he was watching Tony play and noticed that every shot he had took was a headshot. For a second, Johnny smirked thinking that Tony might just end up in the military.
“Oh man what are you doing here?” Johnny said as he was shaking as looked at the gun Tony was pointing at him.
“Well, you see, you done something my boss didn’t like, you have took his money and never paid him back," Tony said as he held the gun tighter thinking on what he should do.
Johnny then began to pace back in forth in front of Tony, “don't tell me you work for a guy named Eddie."
“Yeah, he sent me on this assignment to come kill the man that owed him money. I didn’t know it was you, since we went our separate ways after college two years ago.” Tony said.
At that point, Johnny just stopped moving and stood there as he thought, drugs were the cause of his death.
He couldn't stop remembering his college days with Tony. "So you're here to kill me?" Johnny asked, breathing faster now. He couldn't believe his own friend was here to kill him.
"Yeah. You had to pay back the money," Tony said. They were both silent for a while. "I'm gonna do you a favor, eh Johnny? A chance to restart your life." Inside, he knew he couldn't have done anything to him.
"How?" he asked.
"Burn down the house and run away. I'll tell my boss you died."
Tony told Johnny to pour gasoline all over the house and make sure not to miss any single spot. It was about a matter of life or death. Tony then gave Johnny an address in Miami, with a new license plate and a bag full of money. Johnny started shedding tears of joy. He was speechless and said, "I owe you big time friend." Johnny then left the house, sat in his car and left for Miami after changing his license plate. Tony then set his house on fire making sure that no one was around to see him. The house was engulfed in flames. The smoke was going up high in the sky. I can hear a siren coming closer in the distance as I drive away.
No comments:
Post a Comment