Friday, December 17, 2010

Dear Reader :

Dear Reader,

                  I appreciate the time taken to read my writing and thoughts and seeing my creative process. This semester was a test of my abilities in a college setting and how I would do my work. My goal is to achieve above nineties in both my high schools classes and get about a B in my college classes. The college classes that I take is forensic biology 150 and math 125 which is precocious. After working hard to get my grades and setting out time to study for exams, I did accomplish my goals for my high school classes. My college classes grade, I think I did better than I thought I would do in forensic biology 150 and I could have tried more on my math to get a grade. Although I do not know what my final grade is, I can assume based on how much effort I put into the class. I know next semester I will do better than I have before because all I want to do is excel and achieve more than what I expect to.
                  This college setting allows you to have free time and control over what you do. It gives you enough time and space to do the work you have to do for the classes. You are free and there is not much control over what you do. I had to balance my want to relax and not do work, with doing my homework so that I can get my good grades for my classes. I had to make myself do my work because no one is there pushing you to do your homework. Although the teachers there push you to do the best you can and guide you with what you do, they in the end do not do the work for you, you do it for yourself. You set the goals upon yourself and strive to reach them. I had to stay and do my work during study group and any other time and then relax after I got my work done. I had to reset my priorities . It worked out because the fellow students of the school would help you if you needed help. When I worked with a huge group of people, it tends to not work. We don’t normally focus on or work enough to get things done.
                 When I had been together in a small group, but enough to help each other out like we would in study group, then things would be much easier on us. I still need to work on my priorities on doing my work on time and not rushing through it to hand in a not perfected assignment. I need to work on my time at school to be more productive.
                 This past semester I took forensic biology 150 and math 125 which is pre-calc, as I had mentioned earlier. Biology class is a lecture hall in which there are so many students that the teacher doesn’t really get to know who you are. You are just there. Biology was an interesting class and really was a lot of work because of all the lectures and the major exams that would be going on, but besides that it was a good challenge. For me, I was really interested in this class because I wanted to do biology in college myself and I had a passion for science that needed o be quenched with adding a class that could help me. This class was a combination of biology with an introduction to forensics. This was interesting because those were the two options that I was debating about doing in college, so this class would have helped me further understand what I would be getting myself into. Math 125 is a small class and was alright although it was rather quick and had a lot more things to learn at once. If you missed any day, then you would have been lost and confused and it would be hard to understand what was going on afterwards. It was like a lesson complied on top of the other lessons and it was really good. My professor is a really great teacher. I think that I did pretty good in the fall semester.
                 In a year I see myself going to college and trying to figure out what I want to do in college and in life. I see myself trying to explore the options that there is in the world. In five years, I want to have graduated college. Although at this point I don’t know if I want to stay in the career choice that I would like in a public aspect. I have an interest in joining the navy and what they have to offer. Not only do they have a lot to offer but they travel and do so many things for you. So that when you leave and come back into society as a regular person and not enlisted, then you can have a variety. Who knows what will become of me in ten years. I don’t know yet. Its still a work in progress and the path is always changing of where it would take me. I plan to achieve these goals in life by aspiring to be more and looking into what I want to be and be content with what I have become. I do not seek acceptance from anyone else because all in the end of the day I need to be fine with who I am and that the whole point. I want to be happy and sure of what I am and where I am heading. It is my life and I want the choices I make to reflect who I am and no one else.
                As a writer, I am a very diligent person. I know that I am not very strong in English and that I need to work harder and write more drafts so that my work can come out being good and be equal to the work that my classmates produce. As a writer I like to put passion and my thoughts and ideas of emotion through and convey them vividly through background. I do not really like to put my characters with a name and gender, although it is needed. I feel that if the reader is reading the story, I want them to picture who they want and the person they imagine so that they can put their ideas through them as well and understand. I want my work to be broad and together. To be a successful writer I think that I need to put more details and capture the readers attention in the start of the story more. I need to make it more believable and understanding.
                By expressing how I feel and the lessons learned, I think that I can show what I want them to believe. By engaging them, you capture their focus and make them hear what you have to say. This can be useful in other things other than English class because that way, you can convey yourself in meaningful ways that can thoroughly show what you are trying to express and show what you mean. In fiction writing I have learned that you need to be a great liar. You need to make it seem like your telling them the truth, so that your writing pieces are believable.
                 The pieces that I enjoyed writing were the six word fiction and memoir pieces, journal 2 and journal 1. I enjoyed the six word challenges because it made you think and figure out a back story to the things you would be creating. I like journal 2 because I really connected with that piece. I really put passion and emotion and really strived and struggled with writing it. I put my heart and soul into it. I like journal 1 because it was the first journal that we had written where we introduced ourselves and showed ourselves to the world as an incoming writer. What I find difficult is the editing because you need to see what details are worth mentioning and making the piece meaningful with a lesson as well so that the reader can connect with it. I plan to edit more to make it better. By the end of the year, I plan to become a great writer and write good pieces that I am in love with myself as well. I want my work to reflect myself as a person and how I have changed. By the end of the pre college program, I plan to be ready for college and not be afraid anymore about the big transition.
                This portfolio represents me as a student and person because each piece is a reflection of who I am and what is going on or what I believe. Each piece has a significance to its words. This portfolio is not just a representation of me and who I am but the person that I am changing into and how much better I can be in the world as well. I want to show how I am and how I was. I want to be the writer that not only writes well but worked to write that way and show that I do have a passion for writing and show that not only am I a student in this class, but a student in the world that wants to succeed.

Sincerely,
Sam

1 comment:

  1. This is fantastic! You really dedicated time to this reflection, which is wonderful! I look forward to watching you grow and I love your personal goals of learning to love and appreciate yourself during this process.
    I look forward to reading even more of your work, come Spring, and I hope that you continue to dedicate even more time to the writing process, for when you do, you achieve great things!
    30/30

    ReplyDelete